Author Topic: Week 21: May 20 - May 26  (Read 772 times)

OneWhoDreamz

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Week 21: May 20 - May 26
« on: May 20, 2018, 12:43:19 PM »
Hello, everyone! (Weekly threads will now be posted Sundays.)

Please, answer the following questions to help 1) you set and focus on your goals and 2) provide information so others can help with accountability/motivation.
Your answers can have as little or as much details as you want to share.

• What were last week's goals?
  • How did they go?
  • What are your goals for this week?
  • How productive was last week? (Scale: 1-7. 1 = minimal/not-at-all; 7 = maximum/Master Productivity)
  • Could anything be done be more productive/efficient?
  • How would you rate your well-being? (Scale: 1-7. 1 = lowest point, 7=highest point)
  • What would have made it better?
  • Any additional comments?

NOTE:
"Last week" indicates May 13 - May 19.
"This week" indicates May 20 - May 26.

OneWhoDreamz

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Week 21: May 20 - May 26
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2018, 01:42:36 PM »
What were last week's goals?
  • Continue Privacy Policy 1
  • Blanket: Green
  • Contact friends
  • Clean work-space, house, and anything I make dirty. Organize, if possible
  • Update paper back-up copy of story. Write another portion of story.
  • Various little "be a responsible adult" communications.

How did they go?
  • I have most of "Privacy Policy 1" read. I have about 3 sections left to read; I need to print one page I had missed.. (But it turns out the "Privacy Policy" is actually terms of use and that the actual privacy policy....I don't even dare think how many pages it would use if I attempted to print...)
  • Goal was a bit too ambitious (for my wrists). I reached a little ways past yellow, did not get to green (but I did add about 8 rows of 539 hdc stitches...)
  • Last week was more social than I have been for two months combined; and I still have some social energy. :)
  • House is still needing to be cleaned, but there is a noticeable difference. Work-desk is cleaned (still need to re-organize). I've begun gathering similar use items to take "stock" of how much I actually have before deciding how I want to try and store it.
  • Spent about 2 hours update back-up copy. Did not write more, but formatted the computer document's official copy to look nice, if printed, and easily read when in online-mode.
  • Communications are continuing, but are getting done.

Goals for this week
  • Finish Terms of Use (originally Privacy Policy 1).
  • Continue cleaning house. Focus on restoring "junk room" into a proper room (est. 3 weeks at least) and cleaning off surface area of furniture. Organize, if possible.
  • Write for my own story. (Goal: At least 35 new sentences this week.)
  • Restore healthy sleep pattern.
  • Complete basics of digital drawing (small details added at later date).
  • Continue various "adult responsibility" communications and personal socialization

Productivity level: 6
I still feel like I am procrastinating and wasting about 3-4 waking hours each day (though perhaps this is a "normal" recreational time?), but I have gotten a lot of my goals done and had even done more than originally planned.

How can I be more efficient?
Basically, correct my sleep cycle.
Set morning alarm and keep to it (to help with sleep regularity); sleep earlier if needed. Shut down electronics 1 hour before max bed-time (when not tired); shut down and sleep earlier if tired. REMOVE electronics from sleeping area.

How would  you rate your well-being? 6.5
The socialization really helped. I'm feeling better, getting more done (which is helping with confidence).

What would have made it better?
All that is needed is to eat more regularly. (For whatever reason, change of season always affects my appetite, and I don't think I'm eating enough for what I'm "burning" [and I should NOT lose any weight].)

Any additional comments?
Perhaps look into Level 10 life models to help me learn how to balance everything that I have ongoing. Maybe look into "Pashion Project" journals and possibly attempt to turn one of the close-to-empty booklets I have into a bullet journal (again).

JuniperGrove

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2018, 03:26:10 AM »
What were last week's goals?

Active:
New lab work assigned for this week.
Various Tiny Chores
Full Vacuuming
Somehow come up with the rest of the money I needed... Yesterday.
2 smallish sewing / knitting projects

On Hold:
Ironing
Laundry & Folding
Big Cleaning Project

How did they go?

I ironed around 7 shirts, got about 1/4 of the lab work done and am possibly looking at losing that gig, did a lot of tiny chores but have maybe around three left? Did none of the sewing I needed to do, and the list has increased to 5 smallish sewing projects, I DID get the vacuuming mostly done, and wound up using funding I was supposed to use for something else and putting in all of my resources down to almost the literal last penny. (I got down below $10 across all bank and cash and even piggy bank resources. Not good.)

Nothing else got done though.

What are your goals for this week?

Try and finish last week's lab work, and any more assigned this week.
Make Dry Shampoo for a friend who is paying me to do so.
Various Tiny Chores
Aim for an additional 30 hours of paying work this week, minimum 15.
Ironing & Laundry MUST BE DONE THIS WEEK. (Finishing ALL of it is the only good reason to be minimal w/prior task.)
5 or 6 smallish sewing / knitting projects
Some additional sweeping / maintenance vacuuming

On Hold:
Big cleaning project
Personal Project Related Audio Editing
Roomba repair

How productive was last week? (Scale: 1-7. 1 = minimal/not-at-all; 7 = maximum/Master Productivity)

4. At least a few ironed shirts got done.
Also one unlisted task happened that got me 20% of the way to my financial goal for the month - participated in a Lincoln-Douglas style debate (think Debate Team style, not what passes for debate on the internet these days) and won a small cash prize.

Could anything be done be more productive/efficient?

Uhm... well, right now I'm distracted by existential dread involving one of my core goals in life and relevant research and that's... heavily distracting, yeah.

How would you rate your wellbeing? (Scale: 1-7. 1 = lowest point, 7=highest point)

About a 4? I've been having a bad week for my arthritis, but I'm breathing a lot better (started before vacuuming, but that probably helped too.) The attic AC got put in and that's helping a lot, as did some financial relief in the form of winning that debate and making the dry shampoo stuff - both which pay a lot better per hour spent on it than anything I've done in a long, long time.

What would have made it better?

I have been sleeping... terribly. Just... terribly. Also keep meaning to get back into more regular yoga to help with the stress and it keeps not happening. I also got punished the last time I tried to do shinrin-yoku stuff, my mom was mad at me for "wasting time in the woods" while her ironing was undone, even though I was out there less than 20 minutes, and her stuff will easily take days to wade through, and it's kept me from going back out again.

Any additional comments?

Didn't file it under wellbeing because it's not on my radar much right now, but... my weight has shot back up a bit the last couple weeks. I've gained about five pounds, and I'm only about 15 lbs less than the heaviest I've ever been as it is, so that's... kind of depressing. Part of me regrets giving up trying to do the Paleo/Keto thing as part of it. The main reason I dropped that was because I found out I didn't have diabetes or pre-diabetes, plus beggars can't be choosers and I'm not really in charge of what food is available to me, much. I'm still eating less carbs than before, just not refusing if rice is the main thing around - which it will be this week. Plus for a bit there, eating carbs again helped me sleep at night.

However, as mentioned, I've been sleeping terribly lately, and that could also be part of the reason I've gained weight.

Also, I was listening to a thing on how telling people your goals makes you less likely to achieve them unless there is a sense of actual accountability. I know Barron William was trying to actually discuss that with folks... would it be a good idea for people within any given Barrony or other unit (to keep it to small groups) to do that? (Just to have feedback from multiple people on the same level of investment-in-their-goals, and not just whoever is on the level above in that sense?)

Idk. Just thinking out loud since we don't seem to be interacting as much as we should as it is.not just whoever is next rank ups?

Also, OneWhoDreams, Google usually allows it's employees 3 hours of mental decompression time in a workday, weirdly enough. So you're about on track for Silicon Valley. :-P  Might help you feel better to plan that time into planned breaks instead of feeling like you're procrastinating though.IDK.)

OneWhoDreamz

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2018, 04:59:31 PM »
@Juniper I, too, have heard about "telling people your goals....unless actual sense of accountability." That is one of the reason why I try to emphasize on goal-setting and self-evaluation and not so much on "specifics."

For your question, if by "same-level-of-investment" in their goals you are meaning: have people whose goals are relatively in the same interest as others, [e.g. better sleep, transcribing (maybe also translating?), creative projects, and house-work to name a few] I, too, have thought of this. It helps to have common ground with the people. (Kind of like however much I might wish to, I don't really have the knowledge to be able to help with your "lab-work".)

But, I don't see how we'd be able to do that (wouldn't a guild specifically tailored to that interest be better than a small, up-starting guild?) While it could be possible in the future, I think for right now (with the interests we have and amount of people) getting people to focus on how they are spending their time, goal-setting, and self-evaluation while knowing that they are not alone in this endeavor. (While others may have different goals, we are all in this together as a "society.")

Does that make sense?

(Perhaps we should move this conversation elsewhere, perhaps another thread or in Habitica's guild if you'd like to have an open discussion.)
Or we could use PM's if you'd like for more individual theorizing. (Fair warning: I can get long-winded when I am theorizing how something works [especially when it involves something as complicated as the human mind, its various reactions, and interactions between others.])

JuniperGrove

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2018, 12:56:53 PM »
By investment in their goals, I just meant that whatever their goals are, it seemed Barron Williams' idea in setting up the ranking system was largely that people who are in the guild longer will also naturally move up ranks because they stay consistent in being held accountable and coming back to Habitica and the Guild to take stock of progress, rather than giving up or quitting both the guild and possibly the pursuit of those goals for one reason or another. Like if the guild was about New Years Resolutions, but you know how people give up on those things by February when they prove too hard half the time???

So those focuses you mentioned are actually totally in line with that. Hopefully my original post makes more sense plugging in this data as what I mean by that phrase?