Author Topic: TLDR, I'm the grad student w/the OCD & the shinrin-yoku.  (Read 3596 times)

JuniperGrove

• Administrator
    • View Profile
TLDR, I'm the grad student w/the OCD & the shinrin-yoku.
« on: April 03, 2018, 05:06:43 AM »
I guess you can call me Juniper. I'm 31, female, and trying to work my way out of a ridiculous patch of my life via transcription work. I'm trying to finish graduate school and/or another side certification to allow me to work in my field. I have a BA in psychology and religious studies, and the field I refer to is counseling.

I live in my parent's attic after a divorce I did not want, and I'm basically starting from scratch older than I should be. I have various other side projects, some of which are driven by potential income, others of which are driven primarily by a sense of ethical obligation. I'm required to do several hours a week of physical and sometimes creative labor for my parents in order to stay here, as well.

3 strengths:

Persistent over an extremely long period of time.

Tend to be an optimist (relatively speaking) without glossing over the seriousness of a situation.

If I get out of my own way, I'm pretty decent at using language to accomplish anything from trying to make the world a wee bit better, through talking people out of hurting themselves.

3 Weaknesses:

My OCD is a Problem. (By which I do not mean OCPD, the organizational one everyone confuses with OCD.)

The world is starting to scare me badly enough I toy with the idea of vanishing to live in an off grid hobbit hole with books. (Literally.)

If you don't count attempts at self employment, my resume has three jobs listed on it and none of them lasted longer than six months... So that's fun.

JuniperGrove

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: TLDR, I'm the grad student w/the OCD & the shinrin-yoku.
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2018, 08:45:08 PM »
Diet/Heath Stuff (Putting it here to keep it away from elsewhere, may edit, if I can, as needed?)

I thought it might be possible that I might be Diabetic. It looks like I'm NOT. The entire reason I went Paleo was that it worked slightly better for me than going fully Keto, but the point was to be roughly somewhere between the two. That meant not only no sugar, but no grains - not only bread, but rice, oats, corn, even quinoa was off the limits. Strictly speaking, I wasn't even supposed to have potatoes. I had to go this strict because if I was diabetic - I absolutely, 100% could not get insulin. I live somewhere where I do not qualify for medicaid unless I have a child (which I don't), and I do not have insurance. I've still (mostly) avoided reintroducing bread into my diet, except for hanging out with a friend. (I haven't hung out with anyone socially in 11 months, so one time with one friend this past Saturday... yeah, bread happened.) Oatmeal has happened as well, recently, as well as some pasta and couscous. This was all, absolutely, 1000% not allowed before. I'm still not sure if I'm doing the right thing going off it, but like I said, I'm sleeping better. I'm hoping that taking other, non-dietary actions specifically geared towards cortisol reduction will be of significant benefit.

For the record, a good example of a typical day is something like... well, Monday for example, around 6oz (aka 2/3 cup) of couscous, 6oz fish around 1pm, then an 8oz mixed greens salad around 8pm a few hours later with a couple slices of an apple, and then a 1AM "midnight breakfast" consisting of two eggs, scrambled, with some diced green pepper. Rounded the evening off with hot cocoa. Yes, I realize those hours are atrocious. I didn't sleep until around 5AM. I've kept track of my sleep for all of March, and trust me, that's not the weirdest it's gotten. There was a good week or two there where my typical time to go to bed was around 9PM, with getting up at 3:30AM. I've gone all around the clock, or sometimes split up my sleep into four hours in the AM, two hours in the PM, and all kinds of other messy things all trying to get it to NOT be sleeping from 4 or 5 AM to around 11AM. However, for the way in which I earn money, that schedule is best, even if it's terrible for me health wise. (A lot of studies show that pulling night shifts pose health risks for a variety of reasons, so it's something I want to avoid. Ugh.)

As far as drinking anything is concerned, hanging out with my friend this past Saturday was the last time I'd had a soda since July 2017, and that was the last time since April 2017. I also don't get the opportunity to drink juice of any sort. I supplement Vitamin C, as well as Glucosamine for my arthritis. I have coffee, black tea, herbal tea, or green tea, depending on the day, and what is available. Sometimes milk or cocoa. I've cut out coffee before. I definitely lose productivity when I do so though.

Michaeldievy

TLDR Im the grad student w/the OCD the shinrin yoku
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2018, 08:52:22 AM »
Waz up Red.  I was in Taiwan last summer and am deciding to go to Czech or again to Taiwan.  What other languages are you learning?

JuniperGrove

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: TLDR, I'm the grad student w/the OCD & the shinrin-yoku.
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2018, 12:17:43 PM »
I think you're confused, Michaeldievy. You replied to Juniper's post (that's me!)  not Red's. You also posted your introduction as a response to someone elses' introduction instead of making your own.