Author Topic: Week 13 March 25-31 Check-in  (Read 1193 times)

Earl William

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Week 13 March 25-31 Check-in
« on: March 26, 2018, 04:29:12 PM »
Post your check in based on the template here. So far everyone is in the first barony.

Earl William

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Week 13 March 25-31 Check-in
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2018, 04:37:51 PM »
What were last week's goals?
None specified

How did they go?
N/A

What are your goals for the next week?
Call doctor about BP
Workout 3 times
Get keto after Wednesday

How productive was your last week (1-7, 7 being the highest)

What would have made it better?
Sticking to my diet, exercise and sleep

How you you rate your well-being?(1-7)

What would make it better?
Same as productive goals

Any other comments?
Things were thrown off by my taking a trip to visit my pregnant gf. It really helped restore me emotionally as it's been a while since we've seen each other, but it threw off my routines while I was preparing and staying in a hotel.

JuniperGrove

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2018, 01:52:41 PM »
Whoops! Here's last weeks' (The week ending the 24th). I'll clear it off the template page (D'oh) -
How did they go?

I needed to put in roughly 32-37 hours of transcription work, and didn't. Not even close.

Needed to do some ironing for my parents... my step-dad threw in this one particularly difficult shirt and I wound up creasing it wrong and kind of crying over it in frustration.

Needed to do some vacuuming... Technically that's a twice a week daily, but it's often really red.

Finally got seen at the dentist on Thursday, so that accomplished something, I guess. I spent about 15 hours of my week waiting to be triaged into a sliding scale dental clinic. I'm also really proud of myself for knocking out a yoga session in public during all that. (I used the "Street Yoga" session from Yoga with Adrien's channel on YouTube.)

I did also knock out about 25 smaller to-do's during the week.

For next week, since my dental bills for last week were less than I had anticipated, I get some relief to take care of the household tasks like vacuuming and ironing, so I will probably start there while I can mentally allow myself to take care of that stuff. I'll also take the time to really appraise the rest of the chaos that is my to-do list... and then dive back into earning money.

The main "rest of my to-do list" I need to organize falls mainly into two categories -

Episodes of what (only extremely loosely) quaifies as a podcast that I run.
16 of my 47 to-dos are currently tied up in this, and some of those represent series on different topics, not individual episodes.
(No one I know in the podcast business considers me a podcaster, but I mark it that way in my head because the multimedia project I run now began as an idea for a podcast before it changed, and is tagged on my habitica todo list with a podcast tag, even if it isn't one??? So for anonymity's sake I'll call it a podcast here.)

Writing projects.
(Mostly long term and related to my academic studies for my Master's degree, even when I'm not actively earning credits or taking classes.)

My last week was productive at about a 4. I went from 72 or so to-dos to around 47 or so to-dos, so that's nothing to sneeze at.

It would have been better if I'd actually slept at the times I meant to instead of allowing myself to stay awake due to distractions, friends calling, etc. My sleep schedule has been kind of odd due to needing to be up before my parents to take care of some chores for them. The alternative is going to bed long after them. Lately I've been going to bed... sometimes as early as 8PM. Trying to push it differently so that I can maybe go back to not needing an alarm most days (since I set my own hours for the paying work, it's only needing to be up before then that forces my current schedule).

My well being is probably at about a 3. I'm apparently healthier than I thought, insofar as my dental infection doesn't appear to be quite as bad as I suspected. Nonetheless, I've been having neck / shoulder / jaw pain... I think that last bit is from wisdom teeth finally coming in, which is wildly late given my age.

What would make it better?

My eating habits would be better if I actually had control of what food is available to me, but I don't, at least not to a decent extent. That's a complicated post in and of itself.  That, and not having pain / issues getting to sleep probably would have helped a lot.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2018, 01:55:07 PM by JuniperGrove »

regxo1982

• Knights
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2018, 10:48:23 PM »
Last weeks goals was to get set up here.

Next Weeks goals is to read the Motorcycle DMV handbook and turn in a test with my paralegal studies

Last week Productivity I give it a 4 because I did not go to work thursday

I could have made more money but I did not think  it would be busy enough at the restraunt

I am in the best spot of my life

regxo1982

• Knights
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2018, 11:36:36 PM »
Long term Goals:  Buy a House, Have a Hypnotherapy Practice, Publish a Book

3 Weekneses,  Procrastination, Spending, unfocused
3 Strengths, Determined, hard worker,smart

JuniperGrove

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2018, 06:59:17 PM »
The Actual One For This Week:

Take care of the household tasks like vacuuming and ironing.
Appraise the rest of the chaos that is my to-do list.
Then dive back into earning money

How did they go?

Vacuuming only got half done (actually going to try to work on it a bit more right after I post this, so I guess we'll call that done?)
The ironing... Yeah, I only did about 20% of that.
The chaos sorting... same answer as the vacuuming.
I did have a decent day (by my standards) financially yesterday that makes up for some of the bad. Things are tight, but they could be a LOT worse.

Finish the vacuuming and "chaos sorting" today, then hang out with a friend socially IRL instead of online for the first time in 11 months. (That sounds really sad... D'oh.) I'm telling myself I can't go until the vacuuming's done at least.

For the rest of the week... finish the ironing, and try to get at least 6 hours of paid work in per day. Also need to wrap up a challenge I'm in on another guild, just to get it off my list.

Honestly it feels like about a 3 or 4. My todo list is currently at 51 items, so it's not good.

Meditating a bit more in order to get a grip on my mental health running away with me.

It's at about a 4 now, but it hit a delightful low of a 1 or 2 earlier in the week. For one horrifying day, my blood pressure shot up by 30/10 over it's usual, my heart rate was up by 18, the variability was intense... it was not good. And that was the day two of my friends opted to be mad at me on top of it. Yikes.

Honestly probably the same answer as for productivity.

Earl William

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2018, 02:21:13 AM »
@regXO1982

I'm glad you're in a good spot! How does being a paralegal connect with hypnotherapy in your plans? Buying a house is a goal of mine as well. Sounds like spending too much could get in the way of that! This post might inspire you to save more: http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2012/01/13/the-shockingly-simple-math-behind-early-retirement/ . That blog has a lot of tips on how to decrease your spending, bordering on the extreme, but the main takeaways for me were 1 reducing spending has a double impact, because not only do you save what you don't spend, but also you lower you cost of living, so you need to have less saved in the first place! and 2, it can be surprisingly easy to retire before most people do. I'm a little confused about the not going to work situation. Were you scheduled to work? Missing days when you don't feel like working is a good way to lose your job, since there will be other days where you have a more legitimate reasons not to attend, and as absences pile up, it can reflect poorly on you.
Why do you think you're unfocused? Is this a micro or macro issue? Also, I'm not sure what you're currently doing vis a vis paralegal studies, but Anki is great free software for learning and remembering things. It's smart flash cards, when you see a card and flip it, it asks you how difficult that card was for you. If it was hard, you'll repeat it that session until it's not. If it's easy, it will put it off longer and longer until you forget, then it puts it back in the deck.

@JuniperGrove

Sounds like you want to be more organized mentally and in your activities. What do you do for organization? I live and breathe by my Google Calendar (Apple people have iCal or whatever, not familiar with that if that's you). For getting work done when self-directed, I recommend the Pomodoro technique. If you have an Android I can recommend a good app. The idea is to take frequent short breaks, and less frequent longer ones. You often get more done this way, as it keeps you fresher and prevents you from getting burned out. The common version is to work for 25, break for 5, then take a half hour break after about 5 sessions of that. I don't think humans are much like robots, modern approaches to getting things done can be counter-productive in my experience.
As far as mental order goes, I find that my physical health can be closely tied to that. Sounds like you had a rough spot with that as well, sorry to hear. My BP is too high myself. Meditation is a good thing to do, and IIRC you're trying to stick to a paleo diet, which is also good. Refined carbs can really mess with a person's mind and body! Do you do anything for physical exercise? I recommend something anaerobic. Cardio can be good in moderation, but it's not the foundation of a good regimen IMO. I have a home gym where I do StrongLifts 5x5, and when I stick to that I feel great. An alternative would be kettlebells, which I'm looking into in case I find myself in a situation where I'm traveling a lot and can't use my gym. They can be cheap and found quit light for beginners. Then there are the totally free bodyweight exercises, I can point you to some resources for those as well.

JuniperGrove

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2018, 05:09:51 AM »
Habitica is the main thing I use. I did use a Pomodoro timer called Tide, but it kept turning itself off either before or after breaks so that I would have to manually start each session. My newest idea is to use the free version of the Calm app and just challenge myself to see how long I can keep the "open meditation" timer going, beat previous record, etc,  or at least keep going for a set amount of time in one day, and just pause whenever I need to. Yeah, I'm on an iPhone, not a droid. My cell company was pretty much giving them away at one point when I needed a phone.

The single most difficult paying client I have for transcription work is also usually the most steady - however it involves working to a timer or their own. Once I start their work, I am locked in for three hours. If there's an emergency, or a family member making demands, or whatever else, I can't really stop or I forfeit my pay. This often leads to procrastinating on tasks until I'm certain the next three to six hours (since they come in sets of two) are cleared. Once I start it, it's easy, because then the choice is made and I MUST finish... but making myself simply click to open a weblink to start working for them can be amazingly hard in those circumstances, as weird as that may sound.

I mostly alternate Cardio and Yoga. I do not put on muscle well, but I am worried about heart heath. The 154/94 bp was a weird night where I was in a panic state mentally. Normally my BP is approx 128/81 or so. However, an elevated heart rate is normal for me, with 87-91bpm being the norm. Considering that I've had numerous dental infections, and am borderline anemic, I keep an eye on it.